WRITTEN BY ANTE BARIČEVIĆ
Dinamo Zagreb’s most ardent supporters, the Bad Blue Boys, have officially announced their decision to boycott all home and away games until Zdravko Mamić, Dinamo’s executive vice president, steps down from his position. In order to get the word out to the English speaking world, Dinamo Zagreb supporters from California took it upon themselves to translate the Bad Blue Boys’ prologue and official boycott announcements:
Prologue to the Boycott
Dear Mr. Mamić,
Repulsed by the absolutely unacceptable manner in which you and the board of managers operate Dinamo Zagreb, we, the Association of Dinamo Zagreb Supporters, demand the unconditional and irrevocable resignation of the entire executive board, starting with the president, Mr. Mirko Barisić, and you as the executive vice president, along with the dismissal of the entire staff led by sports director Zoran Mamić and Branko Ivanković.
Along with the numerous smaller complaints, we will list only what we, the supporters, find to be unforgivable scandals and gaffes summarized in the following:
1. The complete degradation of the image of Dinamo as Zagreb’s cultured and Croatian national club contributed by your unbelievably primitive public outbursts, physical altercations, the arbitrary coupling of Dinamo from a sacred Croatian club into a political pre-election backstage game showing support to only one political party, the advocating of an ex-Yugoslav league, a ‘friendly’ game with OFK Belgrade; as well as being responsible for the unprofessional misconduct of your own players on and off the field, ignoring supporters, rejecting communication with the media, flashing middle fingers and displaying bare backsides to both home and rival supporters…
2. The constant deceiving and lying to your own supporters. From offering your resignation if Dinamo did not win the Croatian Championship in 2004/05 only to stay in your position in the end despite that season being defined as the greatest debacle in club history, along with several promises that the entire managing staff will resign in case Dinamo failed to reach Europe, that Dinamo players would not be sold off, and the constant toying around with those promises. The most blatant example involves Luka Modrić whom you promised to lead Dinamo in the 2008/09 European season, although we all know where he plays today. Your last promise, that you do not wish to sell any of the Dinamo players anymore is nothing but a demagogue of deceit as now you no longer have any players to sell, although we would like you to sell them all. Despite your constant announcements of forming a European and atomic Dinamo, our club achieved scandalous results in Europe where it has fallen over fifty spots in the UEFA standings, and most importantly, in the third round of Champions League Qualifiers, achieved ten losses in ten games during your reign.
3. The catastrophic politics within the club and the conflict of interest in which you, the owner of a sports management agency, lead our club, regardless of the facade changes at the top of your agency. Moreover, the selling of our most talented players and the bringing in of cheap, foreign players who are simply not in the same class to play with Dinamo or are practically handicapped due to serious injuries. The difference between the sold players and the players who were brought in is best known by you with one look at your bank account. Add to this all of the illogical and frequent firings of several coaches, who were sadly only marionettes, without the slightest effect in the club’s strategic decisions.
4. Your scandalous and schizophrenic comments and actions toward Dinamo supporters. Comments such as claims that we are instructed Serbs and Muslims who wish to destroy Dinamo and Croatia, or the statement that you would be on top of the world with the support of our rival supporters, the Torcida, as well as the threat that our Association is counting the last days to its demise. Everything culminated with your scandalous announcement to ban supporters from going to the stadium during the game against Rijeka, which was definitely unprecedented in the history of world soccer.
5. The dictatorial and absolute managing of the club in which obedience is the only important quality by which you choose your associates. Today soccer is a business just like any other, and with such shortsighted and limited behavior, Dinamo has no chance to become a respectable club as long as you are managing it.
6. Your complete transformation of Dinamo from a scared Croatian club to the Mamić Family private buffet and the fact that you always put yourself before the club in such a way that the majority of the public identifies Zdravko Mamić with Dinamo, which is disastrous because of your public image. The effect of such calamity, among other things, is the sad sight of the empty stands of Maksimir stadium, even during the games of higher importance for our club (Shakhtar, Sparta, Hajduk).
We do not support Zdravko Mamić, however, Dinamo has a rich history that existed before you and will continue to exist after. Therefore, we ask you to resign unconditionally; otherwise, we will be forced to fight you with all legal means including petitions, public meetings, and all other legal forms available to us.
Mr. Mamić, you have depleted all the credit you once had with the supporters of Dinamo Zagreb and we repeat once again – we are asking for your resignation first and then the resignation of all your goons in our club.
Official Announcement of the Boycott
After deliberations, which were attended by all relevant representatives registered in the various associations of Dinamo Zagreb supporters, the following conclusions and decisions were made:
1. We demand the immediate and irrevocable resignation of Zdravko Mamić as the untouchable ruler of the club which we can no longer identify and do not recognize as our Dinamo Zagreb. Once again, we will repeat all of the demands and arguments which this Association presented back in June 2008 (see Prologue). Also, we demand the resignation of the entire executive board and management, as well as the dismissal and departure of all possible associates that Zdravko Mamić has installed during his reign at the club.
2. We demand an immediate public debate on the Statute and the Constitution of the Association of Citizens of Dinamo Zagreb, where we will present our own proposals for restructuring the club and focus on the return of the identity of the club that will be accepted by all supporters. Also, we request the competent ministries, government and public institutions for the immediate disclosure of all business operations and the legality of the current Association of Citizens of Dinamo Zagreb.
3. We call on all Dinamo Zagreb supporters and sympathizers, the Bad Blue Boys, all citizens of Zagreb and Croatia for a complete boycott of all home and away games of the club that was once Croatian and sacred; but today is the private property of the Mamić family which exists for their personal financial gain and other interests. Let’s show them our perseverance and stand united together against the tyranny of the primitive Zdravko Mamić and his obedient cronies.
The public will be informed of all further actions through the media. This is only the first step in our determined battle to bring back our beloved Dinamo to all of its real supporters.
It’s either us, or him! Our sacred Dinamo!
The Association of Dinamo Zagreb Supporters
The Supporter Club of Dinamo Zagreb
The Association of Dinamo Zagreb Supporters – Trnsko
The Association of Dinamo Zagreb Supporters – Slavonija and Baranja
Translated by the Loyal Supporters of Dinamo Zagreb from California