Darijo Srna captained his Shakhtar Donetsk team to a 2-0 win over city rivals Metalurg Tuesday night in the Ukrainian SuperCup. Srna played all 90 minutes while Eduardo watched from the bench as an unused sub. But what can we expect from these two Croatians in the upcoming campaign?
The 30 year-old Srna can only hope for a kind Champions League draw on August 30th as the offers to play for an elite European club have now passed him by. Ukraine is a two-team league with Shakhtar and Dynamo Kiev always neck and neck fighting for top prize. But with Srna entering the twilight of his football career, what else can we expect from the alleged ‘Beckham of the Balkans?’
He has already helped bring Shakhtar fans more than his fair share of accomplishments: 6 Ukrainian league titles, 4 Ukrainian Cups, 4 Ukrainian SuperCups, one UEFA Cup in 2009 and a run into the Champions League quarterfinals in 2011. The man will go down as a Shakhtar legend, but with surely only one more tournament in him, the 2014 World Cup, how will Srna go down in the Croatian books? And can Eduardo regain a proper place in the Croatian national side coming off the Shakhtar bench, or is it time to start waving goodbye to him as well?
After winning the match for the Ukrainian Super Cup trophy, Shakhtar’s President answered journalists’ questions:
– Rinat Leonidovich, did you see the fans run onto the pitch?
– No, I didn’t. We were also missing the fans, and then we ourselves came to them.
– Mircea Lucescu has won the 15th trophy with Shakhtar.
– Okay. But this is statistics. I am no longer interested in these fifteen trophies. Most of all, I want to win the 16th. Therefore, every effort will be directed towards the next trophy.
– What is the team’s target for this season?
– Winning the championship, the Ukrainian Cup and avoiding last year’s disgrace in the Champions League.
– What is Shakhtar’s minimum goal in the Champions League?
– Let’s advance from the group, and then we’ll talk about it.
– Any new signings?
– No. We won’t buy anyone; we are fully staffed.
– There was an impression that Mircea Lucescu did not want to attend the award ceremony, and you literally forced him…
– No, I did not force him. He feared that he would be poured over with champagne.
– You poured champagne over Srna’s head. Did you take revenge for your previous suits?
– He just decided to bankrupt me! Darijo always looks for the opportunity to pour champagne over me in order for me to spend less on transfers and more on my clothes.